Representative Thomas Jackson, Chairman of The House Democratic Caucus, says Republicans Violated the State Open Meetings Law
04 Mar 2013
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 10 April 2013 13:17
- Published Date
From the Office of Rep. Thomas Jackson
D-Thomasville, AL- House Democrat, Rep. Thomas Jackson, from Thomasville, Al said today that republicans of the Alabama legislature violated Alabama’s open meetings law by deceitfully holding a meeting behind closed doors during a bi partisan conference committee meeting and rewrote the School Flex Bill that has already been passed by the state house and senate.
“They were suppose to meet to discuss changes to the School Flex Bill instead they left the meeting and conducted a private meeting then came back with a bill that was 3 times longer,” said Rep. Jackson, “and the extra content added included nothing that corresponded with the previously passed bill.”
Senate passed a version of the bill that included an amendment that is slightly altered and chose not to agree with a sent version of the bill. Instead of working out the differences of the bill, after holding a secret meeting, senate returned to the chamber with a newer version of the bill that has not even been discussed before.
They violated the law and violated the people’s trust and this bill will be a tragedy for our students. The way this bill was passed was deceitful and unlawful in violation of the state open meetings law.
Representative Thomas Jackson was elected as chairman of the House Democratic Caucus since 2010. He has served in the Alabama House of Representatives since 1995.
Newer news items:
- Roby and Aderholt Discuss Sequestration - 05/03/2013 06:45
- Fincher Declared Rising Republican Star - 05/03/2013 06:43
- Biden Joins Sewell At Annual Civil Rights Pilgrimage in Selma - 05/03/2013 06:41
- Democrats Still Angry Over Alabama Accountability Act - 04/03/2013 06:37
- Armistead and Republicans Jubilant Over Passage of Comprehensive Education Reform Bill - 04/03/2013 06:34
Older news items:
- Editorial: Accountability Act Shows that Alabama Democrats Are Powerless - 04/03/2013 06:27
- Alabama Department of Homeland Security Director Completes NPS Executive Leaders Program - 04/03/2013 06:25
- House Passes Law Enforcement Consolidation Plan - 04/03/2013 06:15
- ALABAMA SUPREME COURT ISSUES VICTORYLAND OPINION - 01/03/2013 13:40
- Melee Over Flexibility Act - 01/03/2013 07:18