25 Feb 2013
- Published Date
By Senator Cam Ward
February 21, 2013 – Montgomery, Ala. – The Airbus Project in Mobile is the biggest economic development opportunity in Alabama in years, slated to bring over 1,100 direct jobs to Mobile, and countless others in Tier 1 and Tier 2 Suppliers. The locating of those suppliers in Alabama is contingent upon improving the legal climate in the state.
“We are not seeking to take away the right of Alabama citizens harmed by negligence or faulty equipment or work environment,” Senate Judiciary Chairman Cam Ward said. “We are just trying to give Airbus the same legal standing they would have in neighboring states so that the suppliers don’t decide to locate their for their own economic protection.”
According to a study prepared for The Alabama Department of Commerce, the economic impact of the Airbus plant on the state’s economy will amount to $409 million of additional GDP output. The Airbus plant alone is projected to employ over 1000 people. The Tier 1 and Tier 2 Suppliers could provide up to 4,000 more jobs. Where those jobs are located depends on the passage of this bill.
“I am honored that Gov. Bentley and others have seen fit to have me and Rep. Bill Poole handle this bill for our state,” said Ward. “If you look at projects like Mercedes in Tuscaloosa and Hyundai in Montgomery, they have transformed those areas of our state. To be able to help Mobile, and all of Alabama land these jobs is one of the proudest moments of my career.”
SB 238 will be fast tracked by the legislature. The tentative schedule is for it to be introduced today, Judiciary Committee on Tuesday, with a goal of final passage by Thursday February 28th.
Newer news items:
- Education Incentives and Economic Development Incentives Go Hand In Hand - 07/03/2013 06:22
- Republicans in Montgomery Broke Their Promises, On Education and Ethical Government - 05/03/2013 06:46
- The Rewards of a Public Servant’s Hard Work, Supplemental Compensation should be “Pride” - 04/03/2013 06:17
- Sequestration Would Be A Disaster for Alabama - 26/02/2013 06:57
- Federal Government Biggest Threat to Gulf Red Snapper - 26/02/2013 06:53
Older news items:
- Did I Make A Difference? (Our Grandchildren will answer that question) - 25/02/2013 07:04
- Time to Get Handle on State Auto Fleet - 18/02/2013 06:37
- “The Truth shall set you Free” (It would definitely set some politicians free) - 18/02/2013 06:34
- Response from House Minority Leader Craig Ford On School Flexibility Bill - 14/02/2013 15:11
- Opinion: The Tyranny of the Education Status Quo - 14/02/2013 07:06