Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?


Gov. Ivey awards grant to combat contraband cell phones in prisons

The ADOC reported a 60 percent increase in cell phone confiscations from 2019 to 2022.

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

Gov. Kay Ivey has awarded a $149,658 grant to the Alabama Department of Corrections for a program to address the proliferation of contraband cell phones in prisons and jails throughout the state.

“Cell phones create a number of security concerns in correctional facilities and are often used to foster violence and enable criminal enterprises,” Gov. Ivey said. “Reducing their usage will make these institutions safer for both correctional officers and inmates.”

The ADOC reported a 60 percent increase in cell phone confiscations from 2019 to 2022. This grant will help fund the department’s new Digital Forensic Unit program, which will use technology and strategic collaboration to identify evidence of criminal activity. The unit will have access to forensic tools that can extract data from locked or encrypted cell phones.

The Alabama Department of Economic and Community Affairs is administering the grant from funds made available by the U.S. Department of Justice.

“ADECA joins Governor Ivey in support of the Alabama Department of Corrections as they confront this challenge head-on,” ADECA Director Kenneth Boswell said.

ADECA administers a wide range of programs that support law enforcement, victim programs, economic development, water resource management, energy conservation and recreation.

The Alabama Political Reporter is a daily political news site devoted to Alabama politics. We provide accurate, reliable coverage of policy, elections and government.

More from APR


The husband of an incarcerated advocate was stabbed in an Alabama Department of Corrections facility.


The bill would have provided a procedure for some individuals to undergo review for possible release.


The results are from a test of 1,227 incarcerated individuals at Staton Correctional Facility.


A DOJ source ended up dead just hours after being moved to a new dorm.