The Alabama Republican Party Executive Committee held its winter meeting on Saturday at the Birmingham Jefferson Civic Center in Birmingham and elected the party leadership for the next two years.
The 500 member executive committee re-elected Chairman Terry Lathan for her third term without opposition. She will be the longest serving ALGOP chairman since 1985. Lathan will represent Alabama on the Republican National Committee Committee on Arrangements for the 2020 Republican National Convention in Charlotte, North Carolina.
During Lathan’s second term, the Alabama Republican Party won 68 percent of their 2019 general election races, flipped 71 seats from Democrat to Republican and now holds a historic 65 percent of all elected partisan offices.
“It is a true honor to have been elected for a third term as chairman of the Alabama Republican Party,” Lathan said in a statement. “I am grateful to have the support of our committee as we continue to lead this party together with a strong conservative platform. We are focused on unseating Doug Jones in the 2020 U.S. Senate election.”
Sam Givhan was elected state senator in November and chose not to seek another term as vice chairman.
John Wahl defeated Bill Harris for vice chairman.
“I am honored to have been elected as senior vice chairman of Alabama Republican Party this weekend,” Wahl said. “I am still overwhelmed and humbled by the trust the ALGOP has placed in me. I look forward to serving the state of Alabama and working with each member of the State Executive Committee.”
Sallie Bryant was re-elected as treasurer without opposition.
Josh Dodd defeated Gina Grant and Virginia Doyle for Secretary.
The Executive Committee elects the officers, selects the platform, passes resolutions, sets party policy and meets regularly twice a year. The Steering Committee is tasked with overseeing the more tactical decisions of the party.
The Alabama Republican Party 2019–2021 Steering Committee includes:
- John Wahl, Senior Vice Chairman
- Sallie Bryant, Treasurer
- Josh Dodd, Secretary
- Phil Webb, Finance Chairman
- Greg Cook, Legal Counsel
- Vicki Drummond, National Committeewoman
- Paul Reynolds, National Committeeman
- John Skipper, Vice Chair, Districts 1,2
- Pat Wilson, Vice Chair, Districts 3,6,7
- Andrew Sorrell, Vice Chair, Districts 4,5
- Les Barnett, District 1 Chair
- William Rayborn, District 2 Chair
- Joseph Fuller, District 3 Chair
- David Hall, District 4 Chair
- Elbert Peters, District 5 Chair
- Renee Powers, District 6 Chair
- Pierce Boyd, District 7 Chair
- Vicki Bailey, President of the Alabama Federation of Republican Women
- Phillip Brown, Chairman of the Alabama Minority GOP
- Jackie Curtiss, Chairman of the Young Republican Federation of Alabama
- Austin Harrington, Chairman of the College Republican Federation of Alabama
The summer meeting will be in August in Auburn.