The Judge Frank M. Johnson, Jr. Institute has announced 27 new members of its Board of Directors as it grows and expands programming.
“We are honored to have these new Board members join us,” said Debbie Long, Founding Co-Chair of the Board. “This diverse group encompasses leaders from across Alabama and the nation to provide the Johnson Institute with strong support as it grows,” added Long.
“The Johnson Institute has a bright future ahead as it develops programming focused on the U.S. Constitution and welcomes visitors to Montgomery, Alabama to share the history that took place there,” said Quentin Riggins, Founding Co-Chair.
Beginning operations in mid-2019, the Johnson Institute has worked with the Middle District of Alabama and the Frank M. Johnson Courthouse in Montgomery to host more than 1,000 visitors, including students, community leaders and members of the general public. Additionally, it has organized and launched civics education events and programming for various audiences. Last spring, it kicked off an oral history project to capture stories of those who knew Judge Johnson or were affected by his rulings in the Middle District of Alabama.
“It is an honor to work with this outstanding group to fulfill the mission of the Johnson Institute,” said Thomas Rains, Executive Director. “Looking ahead, we are well positioned to expand our impact by organizing meaningful programming and events that share stories of justice and the United States Constitution,” he added.
New and continuing Members of the Board of Directors include:
● *Anita Archie, Alabama Power Company, Montgomery, AL
● *Owen Aronov, Aronov Realty, Montgomery, AL (Founding Treasurer)
● Bill Baxley, Baxley Jackson, Birmingham, AL
● Jere Beasley, Beasley Allen, Montgomery, AL
● Lori Boone, RE/MAX Tri-Star, Montgomery, AL
● Peter Canfield, Jones Day, Atlanta, GA
● Lindsay Rane Carter, Great Southern Wood, Abbeville, AL
● *Kate Cotton, Leadership Alabama, Birmingham, AL
● Gen. Ed Crowell, Montgomery, AL
● Dr. Marquita Davis, The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Washington, DC
● Mason Davis, Sirote & Permutt, Birmingham, AL
● Milton Davis, B.L. Harbert International, Birmingham, AL
● Dr. Nancy Dunlap, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL
● *Joe Espy, Melton, Espy & Williams, Montgomery, AL
● Boots Gale, Maynard, Cooper & Gale, Birmingham, AL
● Bob Geddie, Fine & Geddie, Montgomery, AL
● *Lewis Gillis, Means Gillis, Montgomery, AL
● Lane Heard, Williams & Connolly, Washington, DC
● Ted Hosp, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Alabama, Montgomery, AL
● John Hueston, Hueston Hennigan, Los Angeles, CA
● Liz Huntley, Lightfoot, Franklin & White, Birmingham, AL
● Anthony Joseph, Maynard Cooper & Gale, Birmingham, AL
● *Vanessa Leonard, Rockford, AL
● *Debbie Long, Birmingham, AL (Founding Co-Chair)
● Chief Judge Emily Marks, Middle District of Alabama, Montgomery, AL
● Dr. Valda Montgomery, Montgomery, AL
● Drayton Nabers, Birmingham, AL
● *Quentin Riggins, Alabama Power Company, Birmingham, AL (Founding Co-Chair)
● Sheron Rose, Montgomery Area Chamber of Commerce, Montgomery, AL
● *Bobby Segall, Copeland Franco, Montgomery, AL (Founding Member)
● *Judge Keith Watkins, Middle District of Alabama, Montgomery, AL (Founding Member)
● *Laurie Jean Weil, D.V.M., Montgomery, AL (Founding Member)
● *Cathy Wright, Birmingham, AL *Executive Committee Member
Trey Granger and Greg Butrus serve as Secretary and General Counsel, respectively.