Governor Kay Ivey on Friday directed flags to be displayed at half-staff on Saturday, the one-year anniversary of the first confirmed case of COVID-19 in the state, in honor of more than 10,000 Alabamians who have died from the disease.
“On the one-year anniversary of the first confirmed COVID-19 case in Alabama, I find it most appropriate that our state pauses to pay our respects to the thousands of lives lost to this horrible virus,” Ivey said in a statement. “Over the course of the last year, Alabama, along with the rest of the nation and world, has been tested in ways we could have never imagined.”
“Despite these unprecedented times, Alabamians have persevered together and are now edging closer to brighter days,” Ivey continued. “As we honor those we lost this past year, we lift up grieving loved ones in prayer, as well as those that are battling COVID-19 and the amazing folks that continue to fight on the frontlines.”
As of Friday, 10,299 Alabamians have diead from COVID-19, according to the Alabama Department of Public Health. A civilian worker at Maxwell Air Force Base was the first confirmed case in Alabama. On March 3, the state’s death toll from coronavirus topped 10,000.
More than 760,000 Alabamians have received at least one dose of vaccine, State Health Officer Dr. Scott Harris said Friday. More than 1.2 million doses of vaccine have been administered statewide.
Alabama will move fully into phase 1c of the state’s COVID-19 vaccination plan on March 22, and will also include people 55 and older and those with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Additionally, to be included for extended eligibility, are people age 16 to 64 with certain high-risk medical conditions.