A spokesperson for the Alabama Department of Corrections confirmed on Wednesday the death of an incarcerated man at Staton Correctional Facility in the first confirmed fatality in state custody so far this April.
Kevin DeWayne Bell, a 41-year-old incarcerated man at the Elmore County facility, was reported dead on Monday, according to the department spokesperson.
Bell was discovered unresponsive in his bed and later taken to the facility health care unit, where life-saving measures were administered by attending staff, the spokesperson said.
“Unfortunately, the medical staff was unable to resuscitate him,” the spokesperson said. “He was pronounced deceased by the attending physician.”
The Law Enforcement Services Division of the ADOC is investigating the incident, with an official cause of death pending the conclusion of the investigation and the results of an autopsy.
The previous month, at least 12 incarcerated individuals, all men, died in ADOC facilities statewide. Of those 12 fatalities, two were reported at Staton Correctional Facility: Joseph Gaines, a 57-year-old incarcerated man who was reported dead on March. 23, and Scott Senn, a 49-year-old incarcerated man who died on March. 25.
Like Bell, both men were found unresponsive in their dorms, with correctional staff attempting but failing to resuscitate them.
Those deaths in March also include:
- Joshua Felton Ledlow, 39-years-old, at Limestone Correctional Facility on March. 2
- Mohamad Osman, 33-years-old, at Limestone Correctional Facility on March. 3.
- Bobby Ray Bradley, 69-years-old, at Donaldson Correctional Facility, Joshua Strickland, 40-years-old, at Bullock Correctional Facility, and Bunyan Goodwin, Jr, 51-years-old, at Bibb County Correctional Facility, each on March. 4.
- Tony Edward Evans, 51-years-old, at Donaldson Correctional Facility March. 5.
- Felix Ortega, 39-years-old, at Elmore Correctional Facility March. 7.
- Paul Lee, 31-years-old, at St. Clair Correctional Facility March. 19.
- Wondlas Mark Givens, 59-years-old, at Fountain Correctional Facility March. 25.
- James C. Nelson, 57-years-old, at Donaldson Correctional Facility March. 28.