BIRMINGHAM, AL – Chairman Bill Armistead announced that the Alabama Republican Party is now accepting applications from candidates interested in being placed on the ballot as the Republican nominee for Madison County District Court Judge, Place 3. This vacancy occurred when Chris Messervy was removed from the ballot for failure to file financial disclosure reports with the Alabama Secretary of State’s office in a timely manner as required under the Alabama Fair Campaign Practices Act.
Below is the time-line for qualifying:
- June 15, 2012 – Individuals who desire to be candidates shall qualify by filing a Declaration of Candidacy form with the State Republican Party by 5:00 pm, June 15, 2012. Candidates must pay a qualifying fee of $2,378.98 when submitting the Declaration of Candidacy form. Candidates who ran for this position in the Republican Primary in March will not be required to pay the qualifying feel again. Candidates will also be required to complete and submit a questionnaire, a resume and letters of recommendation along with the declaration form.
- June 23, 2012 – Candidates will be interviewed by the Republican Candidate Committee in Montgomery at the Renaissance Hotel. The Candidate Committee consists of members of the Republican State Executive committee from all regions of the state.
- June 29, 2012 – The Candidate Committee by majority vote shall choose the Republican nominee on or before Friday, June 29, 2012.
Candidate Committee deliberation shall be in closed session but members of the public may address the Candidate Committee (with reasonable time limits) and hear candidate interviews. Materials submitted by a candidate and his/her supporters shall be public and available for review.
Detailed information about the process, as well as the questions contained in the survey, is available online at http://algop.org/madison-county-district-court-judge-selection-information. Information can also be provided by request by contacting Harold Sachs at ALGOP Headquarters at [email protected] or by calling 205-212-5900.
Transmission of a candidate’s material including, without limitation, recommendations from supporters may be sent by the following methods:
- E-mail to Harold Sachs at [email protected]
- FAX to 1-205-212-5910
- U. S. mail to Alabama Republican Party, P. O. Box 55628, Birmingham, AL 35255
- Hand delivery or overnight mail service to Alabama Republican Party Headquarters, 3415 Independence Drive, Suite 219, Homewood, AL 35209.
All material must be submitted no later than 5:00 p. m. on Friday, June 15, 2012.