Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?


Alabama inmate tests positive for COVID-19 after death

Fourteen other state inmates and two prison workers have died after testing positive for COVID-19. 

The Alabama Department of Corrections on Friday announced the death of an inmate who tested positive for COVID-19 after his death. 

Robert Lopez, 73, died Tuesday in the infirmary at the St. Clair Correctional Facility, the department said in a press release. 

Lopez, who had chronic health conditions, tested negative for coronavirus on June 11, but after his death was tested and found to have had the virus, according to the department. 

Fourteen other state inmates and two prison workers have died after testing positive for COVID-19. 

ADOC also announced Friday that four inmates at Staton Correctional Facility, one at Fountain Correctional Facility and another at St. Clair prison all tested positive for coronavirus, bringing the total number of confirmed cases among inmates to 181, of which 120 were still active as of Friday. 

Confirmed cases among prison workers also continue to rise. On Friday, the department announced three workers at Fountain Correctional Facility, one at Loxley Community Based Facility and Community Work Center, one at Bullock Correctional Facility and another at Staton prison self-reported positive COVID-19 test results. 

There have been 278 confirmed cases among Alabama prison workers, and 120 of those remained active as of Friday.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.
Eddie Burkhalter
Written By

Eddie Burkhalter is a reporter at the Alabama Political Reporter. You can email him at [email protected] or reach him via Twitter.



Vaccinations could begin late March, may be delayed, depending on arrival of refrigeration equipment/inspections.


Sewell said the plan will provide up to $475 million in direct funding for cities and counties in the 7th Congressional District.


Republican members of Alabama’s congressional delegation all opposed the Democrats' COVID bill.


Travis Jackson, 43, was found unresponsive on his cell at the Fountain Correctional Facility in Atmore on Feb. 9.