Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

News

Federal Disaster Declaration Approved for Three Alabama Counties

From the Office of Governor Robert Bentley

MONTGOMERY – Governor Robert Bentley announced Friday that Alabama is receiving approval for a federal disaster declaration due to damage caused by Hurricane Isaac.

The disaster declaration was approved by President Obama Friday afternoon and allows local governments in Mobile, Baldwin and Pickens Counties to apply for federal public assistance.  Such public assistance could include, but is not limited to, debris removal; emergency protective measures; and the repair, replacement, or restoration of disaster-damaged, publicly-owned facilities.

“This federal declaration will go a long way in helping communities recover from the effects of Hurricane Isaac,” Governor Bentley said.  “Isaac had a tremendous financial impact on several areas, and this public assistance will help local governments with the costs associated with cleanup and recovery.”

“Our state and local emergency management teams will conduct further damage assessments to determine if additional counties can be added to this disaster declaration,” Alabama Emergency Management Agency Director Art Faulkner said.  “We will do everything we can to help communities recover.”

Alabama submitted the request for federal assistance to President Obama on September 11th based on damage assessment reports compiled so far from the counties impacted by Isaac.

The federal assistance approved Friday will also make hazard mitigation grant funding available for all counties.  Such funding covers various projects to help communities prepare for future disasters.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.
Robert Bentley
Written By

Robert Bentley is the former governor of the state of Alabama.

DIG DEEPER