The Alabama Democratic Party announced that it now is accepting resumes from individuals who are seeking federal appointments from President Joe Biden’s administration.
The cover letter must state which specific appointment the applicant is requesting, and why they believe they are the most qualified person to serve the new administration. Qualified applicants will then be interviewed by the Alabama Democratic Party Advisory Committee, who will then forward their recommendations to Congresswoman Terri Sewell, D-Alabama.
A complete list of available positions for appointments may be found here.
Every four years, after the presidential election, the “United States Government Policy and Supporting Positions,” commonly known as the Plum Book, is published, alternately, by the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs and the House Committee on Oversight and Reform.
There are 9,000 federal civil service leadership and support positions in the legislative and executive branches of the federal government that may be subject to non-competitive appointment.
These include positions such as agency heads and their immediate subordinates, policy executives and advisers, and aides who report to these officials. The duties of many such positions may involve advocacy of administration policies and programs, and the incumbents usually have a close and confidential working relationship with the agency head or other key officials.
The major categories of positions are:
- Executive Schedule and salary-equivalent positions paid at the rates established for levels I through V of the Executive Schedule.
- Senior Executive Service “General” positions.
- Senior Foreign Service positions.
- Schedule C positions excepted from the competitive service by the president, or by the director of the Office of Personnel Management, because of the confidential or policy-determining nature of the position duties.
- Other positions at the GS-14 and above level excepted from the competitive civil service by law because of the confidential or policy-determining nature of the position duties.
The Plum Book is available here.